Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo)
The old Church called Santa Reparata had three aisles, three apses and a crypt, it was found in 1966 during excavation. At the end of 13th century it was replaced by a new greates Church. Every citizen helped to the building. The architect was Arnolfo di Cambio that planned Palazzo della Signoria. Then Giotto and Francesco Talenti. It was completed after 160 years. The steeple in 85 m high, it was built by Giotto; it is considere the most beautiful of Italy, it is faced wiyh colored marble; pink, green and white.
The first stone was put down by Vittorio Emanuele II. After Giotto work on it Taddeo Gaddi and Brunelleschi. This is one of the largest cathedral of the world: 153 meter long and 16 m wide. The interior of the Duomo built to a Latin cross plan divided up into a long nave and two long aisles. On the right it is the tomb of Florentine bishop Orso and a bust of Brunelleschi. Along the aisle it is the portal that lead to the Church of Santa Reparata, that contains the tomb of Brunelleschi, remains of Roman houses and funerary service of Giovanni de’ Medici.
In the Chapels of the transept there are the most important works as the altar of Renaissance. The Sacresty is sober, there are some paintings on wood and one washstand; as the chapels of apse excludes the central build by Luca della Robbia and Ghirlandaio. The Sagrestia Nuova is richer than the Sagrestia Vecchia: the porta is in bronze by Luca della Robbia, Michelozzo and Maso di Bartolomeo.
The cupola is octagonal, it was planned by Brunelleschi and completed in 1434, it is considered the materpiece of the Cathedral. It is reachable through more than 400 steps. The other masterpiece is the Pietà by Michelangelo, sculptured when he was 80 years old.