The Monastery lies outside Porta Romana just beyond the suburb of Galluzzo. It is a building by Niccolò Acciaiuoli very big and solemn. It was founded in 1342 and its named shoul be San Lorenzo to remember Acciaiuoli’s son.
The plan was a Church, a Sacresty, 12 chapels for monks and one for Prior, belltowers, kichen, cloister, other rooms for foreigns and for daily and religious life. In 1354 Lorenzo Acciaiuoli was buried in a Chapel and 11 years later his father too. Other Florentine nobles led his example: Guicciardini, Arrigo Spini, Visconti of Milan etc.
The building was finished in the 16th century. From outside the building seems close with a large square that leads to the entrancel. Buildings are well divided: the Church of San Lorenzo, the monk’s Church, the Monk’s Cloister and the Great Cloister. Around three sides are the monks cells, opening onto an extremely fine loggia.