Not so far from Piazza Signoria stands Badia Fiorentina. It was built in 980 and called “Santa Maria Assunta nel Cielo”. It is a building in romanic style with one central aisle. This bulding underwent a first renovation in 1285; this renovation was financed by Earl Ugo and overseen by Arnolfo di Cambio, the author of every constraction from Piazza del Duomo to Piazza della Signoria. The hexagonal bell tower it is one of the defining elements of the Florentine “skyline”. The entrance is in Via Dante Alighieri but before it was in Via del Proconsolo. The entrance runs to a copy of the original splendid late-15th-c. portal by Benedetto da Rovezzano and over the main door it is a “Madonna col Bambino.”
The interior has a solemn Baroque style, built to a Greek-cross plan. The grat Cloister of Orange-Trees was realized by Rossellino and painted by Giovanni di Consalvo wih the History of San Benedetto, father of Benedettini Order. In the cloiste it is the Apparition of the Virgin Mary before St. Bernard an exquisite painting by Filippo Lippi, Botticelli’s pupil.